Before- and after-school program
Beginning with the 2022-23 school year, the Boys & Girls Club of South Central Kansas, an official district partner organization, will offer expanded latchkey child care services to participating Maize USD 266 students.
The before- and/or after-school program will cost an annual fee of $50 per child for the school year to the Boys & Girls Club of South Central Kansas.
Please note that the Greater Wichita YMCA before- and after-school program will no longer be offered at Maize USD 266. However, the YMCA will remain a district partner organization.
The Boys & Girls Club of South Central Kansas has been offering after-school programming at Maize Intermediate and Maize South Intermediate Schools during the last quarter of the 2021-22 school year. The Boys & Girls Club is still working to obtain its license from the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE), and the Boys & Girls Club and the district are confident that final approval will come soon.
The affordable programming is designed in many ways to be an extension of the school day for participants and a help to parents looking for before- and/or after-school supervision, educational/enrichment support, and/or social activities for their child(ren).
Before- and after-school programs will be available for all elementary school children at the following locations:
- Maize Elementary School (also including Vermillion Elementary School students)
- Maize Central Elementary School
- Maize South Elementary School
- Pray-Woodman Elementary School
The Boys & Girls Club of South Central Kansas will continue to provide after-school programs at the following locations:
- Maize Intermediate School (from school dismissal until 6 p.m.)
- Maize South Intermediate School (from school dismissal until 6 p.m.)
The before-school program will run from 6:30 a.m. until the start of the school day. The after-school program will run from the end of the school day until 6 p.m.
Please keep in mind that students not participating in before-school programming cannot enter into schools until between 8:15 a.m. and 8:30 a.m., depending on the elementary school. Students may enter the building only five to 10 minutes before the first bell, which sounds 10 minutes before the school day.
For the Boys & Girls Club program, there will be limited capacity per location, but it is anticipated that any student who participated in before- and after-school programming in 2021-22 will be accommodated by this new program in 2022-23.
About the program
- Cost: $50 a school year per child for program membership. (The cost for the intermediate school program will remain at $30 a school year and will continue to only offer after-school care.)
- Activities: A variety of offerings include homework help, open gym time, outdoor play on courts and turf, STEM activities, social recreation, and arts.
- Transportation to and/or home from the program will not be provided. Students may walk home, bike home, or be picked up. Parents who wish to establish specific instructions about how their child can leave and/or who can pick them up are encouraged to do so.
- Participation/attendance: Participating students are welcome to come frequently, sporadically, or whatever works best for them and their family’s schedule. Once participating families have registered, paid, and completed an orientation, families are not required to provide advanced notice about which day(s) their child(ren) will attend. Students who are registered are welcome to come any program day and stay as long as they would like to stay until 6 p.m. Students who attend will be logged in and out so program employees have a record of attendance. Students may only participate in latchkey services at the school site at which they are registered.
- Staff members: The program will be staffed by Boys & Girls Club employees, and there are opportunities for Maize USD 266 employees to work for the program, too, so your child(ren) may see familiar faces and/or educators they already know.
- Food: A snack will be provided.
How to sign up
Those interested can register and learn more about the program at www.bgcsck.org.
If you have questions about the program, please contact the Boys & Girls Club at 316-201-1890.