English Speakers for Other Languages (ESOL) Program
The goal of ESOL services at Maize USD 266 is to provide support for qualifying students to attain grade-level content standards while increasing their ability to listen, speak, read and write English.
What is ESOL?
- ESOL stands for English for Speakers of Other Languages. ESOL teaches academic language skills to support students’ success in the classroom.
- ESOL curriculum is aligned with the grade-level reading/language arts curriculum.
- ESOL teachers meet regularly with grade-level teams to ensure that ESOL services support and supplement
content taught in the classroom.
- The ESOL program provides instruction in reading, writing, listening, and speaking academic English to build Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency (CALP.)
Who is eligible for ESOL?
Federal law requires all parents to complete a home language survey. Anytime there is another language spoken in the student’s life, the student will be assessed to determine eligibility for ESOL services. The language assessment will determine the language support needed for each ESOL student. Parents/Guardians are notified, and the student begins ESOL support. Maize USD 266 wants to see all students succeed in their education with our help.
How are ESOL services provided?
After reviewing your child’s ESOL placement assessment scores, Kansas English Language Proficiency Assessment (KELPA2), and DIBELS scores, we work with classroom teachers and select the services that will best meet your child’s individual needs.
ESOL services can be provided in the following way:
- Students may be pulled out during school-wide scheduled intervention times to receive small group instruction.
- Classroom teachers who are ESOL certified provide modifications in the classroom.
- ESOL paraprofessional support may be provided to students in/out of the classroom.
- During core subjects, the ESOL teacher may work in the classroom to co-teach.
- Middle and high school students may enroll in ESOL courses, including EnCor.
What schools provide ESOL services?
Early Childhood Center (ECC)
- Contact: Susan White at 316-722-3105 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Maize Central Elementary
- Contact: Vanessa Schmidt at 316-722-0427 or email@example.com
Maize South Elementary
- Contact: Melissa Kaufman at 316-462-8300 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Maize Middle School and Maize High School
- Contact: Rey Ramirez at 316-729-2464 or email@example.com
- Contact: Stephanie Rempel at firstname.lastname@example.org