WHAT IS ESOL?
- ESOL stands for English for Speakers of Other Languages. ESOL teaches academic language skills to support students’ success in the classroom.
- ESOL curriculum is aligned with the grade-level reading/language arts curriculum.
- ESOL teachers meet regularly with grade level teams to ensure that ESOL services support and supplement
content taught in the classroom.
- The ESOL program provides instruction in reading, writing, listening, and speaking academic English in order to build Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency (CALP.)
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Federal law requires all parents to complete a home language survey.
Anytime there is another language spoken in the student’s life, the student will be assessed to determine eligibility for ESOL services. The language assessment will determine the language support needed for each ESOL student.
Parents/Guardians are notified, and the student begins ESOL support. We want to see all students succeed in their
important projects with our help.
What schools provide ESOL services?
Early Childhood Center (ECC)
Contact: Mandy Glasse
Maize Central Elementary
Contact: Dora French
Maize South Elementary
Contact: Melissa Kaufman
Maize Middle & Maize High Schools
Contact: Rey Ramirez
How are ESOL services provided at Maize USD 266?
After reviewing your child’s ESOL placement assessment scores, Kansas English Language Proficiency Assessment (KELPA2), and DIBELS scores, we work with classroom teachers and select the services that will best meet your child’s individual needs.
ESOL services can be provided in the following manner:
- Students may be pulled out during school wide scheduled intervention times to receive small group instruction
- Classroom teachers who are ESOL certified, provide modifications in the classroom
- ESOL paraprofessional support may be provided to students in/out of the classroom
- During core subjects, the ESOL teacher may work in the classroom to co-teach
- Middle school/High school students may enroll in ESOL courses including EnCor
The goal of ESOL services
in Maize USD 266 is to
provide support for
qualifying students to
attain grade-level content
standards while increasing
their ability to listen,
speak, read and write