• Dual Credit and College Information

    Dual credit is a wonderful opportunity for students to receive both high school and college credit for many of the classes that we offer at Maize High School.  Whether it be through Newman University, Wichita Area Technical, Hutchinson, Allen or Butler County College, all of the classes offered are accredited and should transfer to most colleges throughout the United States.  Most, however, isn't all.  For your specific situation, you need to contact your prospective college and work with their admissions department to assure a smooth transition.  Please use the following documents to assist you in your decision-making process.  If you have questions, you are always welcome to visit with your counselor.  

    College Class Credit Information

    Will My College Classes Transfer

  • Cost Comparison

    Have you compared the cost of a degree at the different Kansas Regent Institutions?  This website allows students/parents/stakeholders to compare 3 Kansas Regent colleges to evaluate overall cost for a specific degree.

  • Midwest Student Exchange Program

    Considering an out-of-state college?  Check out the Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP) website. Through the MSEP, public institutions agree to charge students no more than 150% of the in-state resident tuition rate for specific programs; private institutions offer a 10% reduction on their tuition rates.  You must be enrolling as a non-resident student at a participating MSEP campus to receive the discount.  All enrollment decisions are made at the discretion of the receiving campus and the campus may exercise its right to limit participation or set specific admission requirements for MSEP.

    For more information:  http://msep.mhec.org/

  • Eligibility Requirements for Athletics

    NCAA Division I and II

    Division III colleges and universities set their own admission standards.


  • Great Resources & Support for ...


    Understanding the College Process: the Fair Opportunities Project

    Here is a statement from the Fair Opportunities Project regarding their resource: 

    "To be clear, this is an independent project and no one is making money from it. Our team doesn’t like the disparity in resources between students who can afford private college consultants and those who can’t. We believe that all students should have free access to the best college application and financial aid information, regardless of background. We want to make the information and resources that elite private college counselors sell to all students available for free."

    Students with Disabilities: http://www.onlinecolleges.net/for-students/students-with-disabilities/



  • College Credit in High School

    Concurrent Credit

    Maize High School grants concurrent credit from Newman University and Wichita State University. 
    • The Newman University classes are high school classes taught by Maize High School teachers and approved by Newman University. The amount of college credit varies per class and cost is determined by Newman University. To participate in this program students must have a 3.0 GPA and can be a sophomore, junior or senior. 
    • WSU and Maize High School offer concurrent credits for classes taught at any of the WSU campus locations. Students are encouraged to use the Westside Campus located at 37th and Maize Rd. To participate in the WSU concurrent enrollment program students must have a 3.0 GPA and be classified as a senior. Enrollment in some classes could require either an ACT score or a placement exam. Guest Student admission to the University is required and tuition and fee payment is at the same rate as all other WSU classes; although at various times WSU will grant guest student scholarships. Contact a counselor or the Director of Guidance to determine if guest student scholarship money is available.

    College Courses

    Seniors can take the following WSU courses for concurrent credit on a WSU campus during either Semester. 
    • Those classes are: Communications 111, English 101, English 102, Psychology 111, and Sociology 111. 
    • A 3 hour college class will earn .5 high school credit. Communication 111 will meet the MHS graduation requirement for .5 credit of Speech. English 101 (.5 credit) and English 102 (.5 credit) together will meet the one credit English elective requirement. Psychology 111 or Sociology 111 will meet a .5 Social Studies elective requirement. 
    • High school students who take college classes must apply for admission to the University as a guest student. WSU allows a student to take six (6) hours in one semester as a guest student, and a total of 15 credit hours can be earned at WSU as a guest student. Classes at other colleges or other WSU classes not listed must be approved by the counselor on a case by case basis. Tuition and fees for college courses are the responsibility of the student.

    Advanced Placement Courses

    AP courses are offered at Maize High School. Students may select from AP courses in: Biology, 
    Calculus, Chemistry, English Literature, Government, Statistics and United States History.

    Participation in the College Board's Advanced Placement Program enables students to pursue college-level studies while still in high school. AP teachers participate in AP workshops where they receive intensive training on the content and methods of teaching AP courses. AP exams administered each May give students the opportunity to earn college credit. Because of the high standards of AP over 90% of the nation's colleges and universities have an AP policy granting students credit, placement, or both for qualifying AP exam grades. The college policy determines the exam grades that qualify. AP not only gives students the opportunity to earn college credits but AP's rigor also prepares students to succeed in college. These courses involve much more time due to the difficult coursework. Students must carefully decide if they will be able to meet the expectations of the class. Students who choose to drop the class after the third day will receive a withdrawal/fail for the class. 

    *Please note

    APUSH (AP US History), AP Physics & AP Biology are yearlong classes. 
    AP Calculus, AP Statistics, AP Chemistry, & AP Literature, are all 2nd semester classes. 
    AP Government classes are offered both 1st and 2nd semester