Pre-K/Early Childhood Opportunities
Looking for Pre-K opportunities? There are several options available in USD 266.
Pre-K classes for 4 year olds run 4 days a week, Monday-Thursday and about one Friday a month. 3 year olds can enroll in either 2 days or 4 days. The morning session is from 8:15-11:25 am, the afternoon session is 12:25-3:35 pm. We do not have all day Pre-K, nor can we allow parents to enroll their child into both morning and afternoon sessions.
Students must turn 3 or 4 years old by August 31st. The students eligible for this program must meet on of the following criteria:
- Parent was a teenager at the time of child’s birth
- Lives in a single parent household
- Limited English proficiency
- Meets criteria for Federal free lunch program
- Developmental Delay (as determined by assessment)
- Parent(s) does not have high school degree or GED
This program is Kansas grant funded and has limited spots available
Fee Based Pre-Kindergarten
The purpose of the Fee-based Pre-Kindergarten Program is to provide a high quality, school based early learning program for preschool aged children who are not eligible for the State Pre-Kindergarten program or Early Childhood Special Education program in the Maize School District. Details in reference to this program are as follows:
- The Fee-Based Pre-Kindergarten program will be offered at a rate of $225 per month for 4 days a week and $110 for two days a week (3 year olds only)
- Students must be 3 or 4 years olds as of August 31, 2019 for the 2019-20 school year and must reside in the Maize School District.
- To be placed in the program, all paperwork and payment of $225 or $110 is due upon enrollment.
Early Childhood Special Education
Maize Early Childhood Special Education is designed for children 3 to 5 years of age who qualify for services in areas such as communicating, learning, hearing, seeing, moving, or socializing.
If you have concerns with your child in areas of cognition, motor, social, behaviors, adaptive/self help or speech skills, the first step is to have your child attend a “Count Your Kid In” screening (CYKI). For more information please call (316) 794-8641 to arrange a screening.
The teachers and staff co-teach together to offer an inclusive learning environment for all children.
During co-teaching times two certified teachers are present in the classroom, and they work together through the teaching process: planning, teaching, and assessing progress. Students frequently have different learning styles and preferences. Co-teaching allows those different needs to be more easily met.