Emergency Safety Interventions
Emergency Safety Interventions (ESI) are seclusion and restraint that are used when a student presents a reasonable and immediate danger to him or herself or others.
District ESI policy
Please click here to access A Family Guide to the Use of Emergency Safety Interventions (Seclusion and Restraint) in Kansas. (This document also is available in Spanish by clicking here.) The ESI resource includes further definitions and descriptions, as well as information about when ESI may be used, related requirements, parent notifications, and how to file a complaint.
Parents have a right to file a complaint through the local dispute resolution process and the Kansas State Board of Education’s (KSBE) administrative review process. If you have an issue you would like to discuss with Maize USD 266, please contact Assistant Superintendent for Special Services Dr. Christy Skelton at 316-722-0614 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
ESI Concerns (New)
If you have concerns, you have options when the school uses restraint or seclusion on your child. There are four ways to voice your concerns:
- Request to hold a meeting with the school about the ESI.
- Request a meeting with the principal.
- File a written complaint with the local school board within 30 days after you were told about the incident.
- If you do not get a decision from the local school board within 30 days or you do not agree with the decision of the local school board’s investigation, request an administrative review by the state board of education.
For more information:
- Families Together, Inc.
- Topeka Parent Center: 1-800-264-6343 or email@example.com
- Wichita Parent Center: 1-888-815-6364 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Garden City Parent Center: 1-888-820-6364 or email@example.com
- Kansas Parent Information Resource Center (KPIRC): 1-866-711-6711 or www.kpirc.org.
- Disability Rights Center of Kansas: 1-877-776-1541 or www.drckansas.org
- Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE): 1-800-203-9462 or www.ksde.org