- Maize Unified School District 266
Inclement weather reminders
With winter around the corner, Maize USD 266 is reminding parents to please ensure that you have updated your information for notifications. Please also keep in mind that contact information does not instantly sync. Please allow at least 24 hours for data to update in the systems.
Maize USD 266 implemented a new mass notification system in 2021. If you want to receive phone calls and/or text messages from Maize USD 266, please log into Skyward Family Access and click “Skylert” on the left. Skylert enables you to receive notifications concerning your child(ren). You have control over which notifications to receive and how you would like to receive them. Snow day-related notifications and the majority of district-sent parent communications fall into the category of “General.” You can check the boxes under “General” in Skyward to select how you prefer to receive this information. Please also make sure your phone number is accurate. Please click “Save” in the upper-right corner if you make any updates.
Please note that automated phone calls from the district will show on your caller ID as coming from 316-350-2046 or other district numbers.
Make sure to opt in to notify your carrier if you want to receive text messages:
Those who want to receive the district’s School Messenger text messages also will need to opt in by sending a text message of “Y” or “Yes” to 67587. This informs your mobile carrier that you approve of receiving text messages from School Messenger. Those wishing to opt out can do so by sending “Stop.” Please click here for more information. Text recipients will receive automated district messages from the number 67587.
Reminders about snow day notifications:
- In the event of school being dismissed or canceled because of inclement weather, the district will send out notifications via phone call, text (SMS), and email to those who have elected to receive them.
- Phone notifications will go out as early as 5:30 a.m. on the day of the closure. If a decision is made the night before to call off school, calls and texts will go out no later than 10:30 p.m.
- District officials will update the district's website (www.usd266.com), official Twitter account (@maize266), and official Facebook page as soon as the decision is made to call off school.
- When in doubt, the district encourages parents and employees to verify school closings by consulting multiple official district sources. Please do not rely on only one form of notification, such as a text message, if you are uncertain.
- When deciding whether to close school buildings, district leaders consider many factors, including the safety of students, employees, and families; road and weather conditions; the weather forecast; and the ability for the district and municipalities to sufficiently treat and maintain roads. The timing of when decisions must be finalized may conflict with the timing of potentially poor weather conditions. Once school buses begin to pick up students in the morning, the decision cannot be changed. This ensures that students are not caught between their morning routines at home and their arrival to school. The district, for example, does not want to announce a school closure at a time when children may be waiting for school buses, walking to school, or home alone after parents have left for work, assuming school was on as scheduled.
- Regardless of the district’s decision on a day with inclement weather, parents/guardians who believe conditions are unsafe for their child(ren) may always choose to keep their child(ren) home from school. The district asks that parents please communicate their child(ren)’s absence directly with the child(ren)’s school.
Thank you for your cooperation in preparing for potential inclement weather this winter.