- Maize Unified School District 266
Current learning models continue as school board plans special meeting
The Maize Board of Education met Jan. 11 for its regular monthly meeting and discussed and reviewed the district’s T4T Reopening Plan. The learning models currently in place will continue for now, and board members expect to call a special meeting to consider additional data that district leaders are gathering for their review.
As has been the goal throughout this school year, school board members and district leaders aim to return as many students physically to school as possible and as soon as possible while striking the best balance between safety and academic achievement for students. They also will continue to consider the mental health and overall well-being of students.
We know this school year has not been easy and that the unknowns can cause anxiety, as well. We know we are asking so much of our students, families, and employees as we consider repeatedly how to proceed in this unknown territory. We will keep parents informed regarding any potential learning model changes. The district does plan to continue to offer full-time remote learning for those families who have opted for that learning model. Parents also can keep in mind that the second term will end on Jan. 22. Families interested in transitioning models, pending potential Maize Board of Education decisions, should be in contact with their child’s school.
Among considerations is when COVID vaccinations will become available to public school employees. According to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE), this will happen in phase two of the current Kansas vaccination phases, expected to occur between late January and March.
Below, you will find a list of resources available to families and encourage you to use them as needed.
I appreciate all you do as we continue to navigate our 2021 together as OneMa1ze.
Dr. Chad Higgins
Superintendent of Schools
Maize USD 266
Resources for families
- Academic Help Desk request form (bit.ly/266HelpDesk): Students and/or parents can complete and submit this web-based form to request assistance with a class, homework, or something from school. Maize USD 266 educators are available to help between 9 a.m. and 3:15 p.m. on days when school is in session.
- Most recent weekly Maize USD 266 COVID-19 Dashboard, Employees and Students (updated Jan. 8)
- Student self-assessments for families to use as a tool when determining whether a child physically can attend school (updated Dec. 15)
- Maize USD 266 T4T Considerations (Jan. 7)
- Maize USD 266 FAQ (Dec. 18)
- Together for Tomorrow: T4T Reopening Plan resource webpage at www.usd266.com/T4TReopeningPlan
- Board Docs portal, which includes information about Maize Board of Education meetings and agendas
- Maize USD 266 YouTube channel (bit.ly/Maize266YouTube), which includes recordings of 2020-21 school board meetings